How to Get a Louisiana Insurance License
|Louisiana Department of Insurance||Testing Provider (PSI)|
|(225) 342-0860||(800) 733-9267|
1. Schedule and Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher or electronic check. You can make a reservation through the following methods:
- Online: www.psiexams.com
- Phone: (800) 733-9267
- Fax completed Registration Form to (702) 932-2666 and call PSI after 4 business days.
- Email completed Registration Form to [email protected] and call PSI after 4 business days.
- Mail completed Registration Form and submit the appropriate exam fee to PSI Services LLC, ATTN: Examination Registration LA INS, 3210 E Tropicana * Las Vegas, NV * 89121. After 2 weeks, call PSI to schedule the exam at (800) 733-9267.
What to Bring
Two forms of current signature identification:
- A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
- A secondary ID (signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card or another primary ID
You will be required to supply a copy of your Pre-licensing Certificate of Completion in order to be admitted to the exam.
- Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to sign in and verify identification.
- No talking or any other form of communication among candidates is permitted in the exam area.
- Children, cell phones, calculators, pagers, cameras, programmable electronic devices and recording devices of any kind are NOT allowed.
- No smoking, eating, or drinking will be allowed at the exam site.
- Dictionaries, books, papers, or study and reference materials are NOT permitted.
- You may not exit the building during the exam.
- You may not bring a large purse or backpack into the exam room.
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of two parts:
- The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
- The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Louisiana
- Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
- If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful exam results letter along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by exam portion.
- If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on an exam results letter.
|Louisiana Exam Information|
|Exam Code||Exam Name||Exam Time||Total Questions|
|Series 101||Life Insurance||2 hrs||100|
|Series 103||Life, Health and Accident Insurance||2 hrs 40 min||150|
2. Apply for License
Apply for your license by completing an application at www.nipr.com.
3. Get Fingerprinted
Once you complete your exam, you must have your fingerprints taken at the exam site and submitted to the state. PSI will forward the fingerprints on to the state for review; this process can take up to four weeks.