How to Get a Nevada Insurance License
1. Schedule and Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Pearson VUE. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher or electronic check. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
- Online: Make an online reservation at http://www.pearsonvue.com/nv/insurance at least 24 hours before the desired exam date or 5 days in advance if paying by electronic check
- Phone: (800) 274-2609
- Before you call, you must have the following:
- Legal name, address, Social Security number, daytime phone number, and date of birth
- Name of the exam
- Preferred exam date and test center location
What to Bring
Two forms of current signature identification:
- A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
- A secondary ID (signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card
You will be required to supply a copy of your Certificate of Completion to be admitted at the exam.
- Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed for the score report.
- No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
- Studying is not allowed in the test center.
- The test administrator will provide you with materials to make notes or calculations. You may not write on these items before the exam begins or remove these items from the testing room.
- You will have the opportunity to take a tutorial that will not reduce the exam time.
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of two parts:
- The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
- The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Nevada
- Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
- The passing score required on each exam is 80.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
- Candidates who fail will receive a score report that includes a numeric score, diagnostic and re-testing information.
|Nevada Exam Information
||3 hrs 35 min
2. Get Fingerprinted
Fingerprinting is available at the Las Vegas and Reno testing centers. You can make an appointment on the phone by contacting MorphoTrust, USA at (866) 761-8069.
4. Apply for a License
After passing the exam, apply for your license by completing an application at http://www.nipr.com