How to Get an Ohio Insurance License
1. Schedule and Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Prometric. You can make an exam reservation online, by phone, fax or mail. Exam fees may be paid with a Master Card, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks are not accepted.
- Online: https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/insurance/Pages/ohio.aspx
- Phone: (877) 346-4014
- Fax: Registration via fax or mail is a two-step process:
- Submit the registration form along with payment to:Prometric
ATTN: OH Insurance Exam Registration
7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD 21236
Fax: (877) 341-9469
- Call (800) 346-4014 after the registration has been processed to schedule your exam.
What to Bring
- Your original Certificate(s) of Completion from a completed pre-licensing course of study
- A current, signed form of identification. The identification document must:
- Be government-issued (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued or military id card)
- Contain both a current photo and your signature
- Have a name that exactly matches the name used to register for the exam
- Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed.
- All testing sessions are video and audio recorded.
- No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- Each exam contains “experimental” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Experimental questions may not be covered in the candidate’s educational materials and do not affect your final score!
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- When you complete the exam, your score will be displayed on the screen and you will receive a printed score report. The score report will include whether you passed or failed, the overall percentage score, and percentage correct for each of the major sections of the exam.
- Prometric notifies the Department of Insurance your exam results within 2 business days.
|Ohio Exam Information
||Agent’s Exam for Life, Accident and Health Insurance
||2 hrs 30 min
||Agent’s Exam for Property and Casualty Insurance
||2 hrs 30 min
||Agent’s Exam for Life
2. Get Fingerprinted
Once you have passed your state exam, you will need to be fingerprinted by a National WebCheck provider. A list of WebCheck providers is available at www.insurance.ohio.gov under the option “ODI authorized National WebCheck locations”. When you have your fingerprints taken, be sure to inform the provider that you need the “direct copy” option. WebCheck requests are processed within two business days.
All Prometric test centers are approved WebCheck providers. You can make an appointment with Prometric at http://www.fastfingerprints.com/Internal/AppointmentEdit.aspx?AppointmentID=0.
3. Apply for License
After passing the exam, apply for your license by completing an application at www.insurance.ohio.gov on the Agent/Agency Services page. Once the Department of Insurance has verified that you have met all of the standards for licensure, they will issue your license. You can print a copy of the issued license at www.insurance.ohio.gov by clicking on the “Print my Agent License” button.
Scroll to top