How to Get a Pennsylvania Insurance License
1. Schedule and Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. You can make a reservation through the following methods:
- Online: www.psiexams.com
- Phone: (800) 733-9267
- Fax completed Registration Form to (702) 932-2666 and call PSI after 4 business days.
- Mail completed Registration Form and appropriate exam fee to PSI Services LLC, ATTN: Examination Registration PA INS, 3210 E Tropicana * Las Vegas, NV * 89121. After 2 weeks, call PSI to schedule the exam at (800) 733-9267.
What to Bring
One form of current signature identification:
- A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
You will be required
to supply a copy of your Pre-licensing Certificate of Completion in order to be admitted to the exam.
PSI exam sites have additional procedures:
- Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to sign in and verify identification.
- No talking or any other form of communication among candidates is permitted in the exam area.
- Children, cell phones, calculators, pagers, cameras, programmable electronic devices and recording devices of any kind are NOT allowed.
- No smoking, eating, or drinking will be allowed at the exam site.
- Dictionaries, books, papers, or study and reference materials are NOT permitted.
- You may not exit the building during the exam.
- Copying or communicating exam content is a violation of PSI security policy. Either may result in the disqualification of exam results and lead to legal action and prosecution.
- You will have your picture taken prior to admittance into the exam.
- You may not wear a jacket, coat or any type of hooded clothing into the exam room. Sweaters that do not have pockets are allowed.
- You may not bring a purse or backpack into the exam room.
- You will be asked to put these items in your vehicle. PSI only provides accordion type folders for any items. These folders are left in the lobby and PSI is not responsible for the security of those items.
- You may not wear a wristwatch into the exam room and you will be asked to empty your pockets.
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of two parts:
- The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
- The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Pennsylvania
- Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
- If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful exam results letter along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by exam portion.
- If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on an exam results letter.
|Pennsylvania Exam Information
||Producer’s Life Insurance
||Producer’s Life, Accident and Health Insurance
||2 hrs 50 min
2. Apply for License and Get Fingerprinted
Examination and Fingerprinting
After you have completed the pre-licensing education requirements, register for the examination by contacting PSI
Services LLC (PSI) at www.psiexams.com or 1-800-733-9267.
Once your examination has been scheduled, you must bring a copy of your pre-licensing education certificate
of completion and a valid form of identification with you to the testing center. Examples of acceptable
identification would be a U.S. government-issued document such as a passport, state-issued driver’s license or
identification card or military identification. The document must have a current photo and your signature and the
name on the identification must be the same as the name used to register for the examination. It is also strongly
recommended that you bring a credit card with you (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) since you will
be able to apply for your license at the testing center through Sircon or NIPR once you pass your exam.
Fingerprinting is required of all initial applicants for a resident producer license and must be done in any of
the Pennsylvania PSI testing centers. You will be supplied with detailed fingerprinting instructions at the PSI
testing center after passing your exam. Please note that PSI charges a $15 fee to process your fingerprints. This fee
must be paid with VISA, MasterCard, company check, money order, or cashier’s check directly to PSI at the
Applying for Your License
Once you have passed your exam, you are now eligible to apply for your producer license. You will be given the
opportunity to submit a licensing application online through Sircon at http://www.sircon.com/pennsylvania or
NIPR at www.nipr.com immediately after passing the exam. It is recommended that you apply electronically at
the testing center to expedite the licensing process. The initial licensing application fee is $55 and the
fingerprinting fee (charged by the PA State Police and FBI) is $25.00.
For situations where an examination is not required (limited lines producer license, change of home state provision
or the holding of a professional designation such as CIC, CPCU or CLU), we request that you apply electronically
through Sircon at http://www.sircon.com/pennsylvania or NIPR at www.nipr.com to expedite the licensing
process. You will then have to submit your fingerprints at a PSI testing center in Pennsylvania. A listing of
testing center locations and recommended walk-in fingerprinting hours can be found on PSI’s web site at:
http://www.psionline.com/PROGRAMS/PA%20Fingerprint%20hours.pdf. You must take the online confirmation
page from Sircon or NIPR showing you paid the $25.00 fingerprinting fee with you to the PSI testing center in
order to be fingerprinted.
The option to apply using a paper application is available only if you are unable to apply online. Be advised that
the paper licensing process will be less convenient and may take considerably longer than the electronic method.
If you must apply via paper, an application can be obtained from our web site at www.insurance.pa.gov. You must
include a cover letter explaining why you are unable to apply online; otherwise, the application will be returned
along with a letter telling you to apply online. You will need to include the application fee and fingerprinting fee
with your application ($55 application fee and $25.00 fingerprinting fee for a total of $80.00). Once we receive
your application and the correct fee(s), we will mail you a receipt for the $25.00 fingerprinting fee. You will then
have to submit your fingerprints at a PSI testing center in Pennsylvania. A listing of testing center locations and
recommended walk-in fingerprinting hours can be found on PSI’s web site at:
http://www.psionline.com/PROGRAMS/PA%20Fingerprint%20hours.pdf. You must take the receipt showing you
paid the $25.00 fingerprinting fee with you to the PSI center.
You may view the status of your license application on our web site at www.insurance.pa.gov. Once your
license has been issued, you may print your license from our web site. Please be advised that the
Department no longer mails licenses.
3. Print Your License
You can check the status of your application at www.insurance.pa.gov
. Once your license has been issued, you may also print off your license from the website.